Do you have other hobbies/interests that you bring into your classroom teaching? Explain.
Sometimes I feel like teaching is my hobby. I spend my weekends looking for fun lessons, exploring Pinterest and Twitter, and grading papers. However, as much as I truly enjoy doing all that, when I don’t have to be doing that, I have a few other things I enjoy. Some of these I haven’t figured out how to use in the classroom, but I hope to someday!
Cooking: I love to bake and cook (and eat!). Some ways I’ve brought this into my classroom include:
- Making Sauerkraut and bread during my biology unit on cellular respiration.
- Doing a popcorn lab in chemistry where students determine the water content of popcorn.
- Bringing in examples of proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates during biochemistry units.
Science: As I said before, I’m a science nerd! I love all things science. I follow many scientists on twitter and facebook, as well as other organizations that share fun science facts and stories. I use this is my classroom to:
- Connect what we are learning with current scientific discoveries.
- Find interesting introductions to units.
- Discover videos that can be used to review information or inspire discussion.
Crochet: I haven’t figured out a way to connect this with my classroom – but I did see some cool patterns for scienc-y things!
Football: Again, not something I’ve really connected to classroom content, but I have used it as a way to connect with students and create more classroom rapport.
Trivia: I am a trivia junkie. My husband and I record Jeopardy! on our DVR so that we can watch it for hours at a time. We also go to trivia night almost every Tuesday! I do trivia with my students every Friday. They get extra credit on their daily assignment for any questions they get correct. I enjoy doing this because it expands my knowledge beyond science, and the kids get pretty excited to have trivia on Fridays.
If anyone has ideas on how to connect crochet and football with classroom content, let me know! I’d love to include some more of my hobbies in order to make my classroom more personal and interesting!