Hello! I was tagged by Misty White (@MadDawgMisty) to do a bloggers challenge. I was lucky enough to meet her through the world of twitter, and the culture of Teach Like a Pirate. I’ve been considering starting a blog for a little while, but haven’t had a real push to get going. This is just what I needed! (Thanks Misty!) Since I’m brand-new to blogging, I don’t even know that many bloggers or blogs. So, I’m going to skip steps 4 & 5 of this blogging challenge, for now. Here are the criteria:
The task: 1) Acknowledge the nominating blogger. 2) Share 11 facts about yourself. 3) Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you. 4) List 11 bloggers. 5) Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
11 facts about myself:
1. I teach High School Sciences including biology, physical science, chemistry, advanced biology, environmental science, and scientific research and design.
2. In addition to my normal teaching duties, I coach volleyball and cheerleading.
3. I am a big fan of SDSU! (Not San Diego State, South Dakota State!) Go Jacks!!
4. I have 4-legged children. 2 dogs, Java and Jax and 1 cat, Mac.
5. My husband calls me an “old lady” because of my love of crochet and cats.
6. #1 addiction: Caffeine!
7. I am a huge fan of NFL football! I even had a fantasy football team this year, and got runner-up in my league!
8. Although it is terribly cold during the winter, I still love South Dakota. I have lived here my whole life, and I like visiting other places, but love that I get to come home to such a wonderful state!
9. In college, I was a member of the Pride of the Dakotas marching band. I love music!
10. I spend a lot of my free time researching and doing professional development. I love learning more about teaching!
11. My students describe me as: bubbly, the biggest nerd they know, and goofy.
11 questions from Misty:
1. Do you prefer hot or cold weather? I like right in the middle – about 65 F. But, if I had to choose really hot or really cold, I would say really cold, because you can always put on more clothes. . .
2. How many of the 50 states have you visited? 22
3. Where do you want to go for summer vacation? This summer, my husband and I are going to travel to Denver, Co.
4. Who is one person on twitter that you want to meet in person? I am super stoked to meet Dave Burgess (@burgessdave) this summer at the REMAST conference!
5. Why did you decide to answer this blog challenge? I’ve been considering starting a blog, and it was a good way to get going!
6. What is your dream job? I really love teaching, but I think my dream would be to teach about 1/2 time (so that I still get to interact with kids), and the other 1/2 organize professional development, have discussions with teachers, plan in-services, etc. I have really fallen in love with helping teachers be better (including myself)!
7. What is your favorite food? That’s a hard one! I honestly love pizza – almost any kind! I also really love bread!
8. What radio station is #1 on you pre-programmed stations? Hot 104.7 – the top 40 station out of Sioux Falls.
9. Where in the world is Carmen San Diego? I was never good at geography!!!
10. Have you ever been to Disney World? I’ve been to Disney Land, and Universal Studios (Harry Potter world was AMAZING!), but I’ve never been to Disney World.
11. What is your career goal as an educator? My #1 goal is that I can make a difference in the lives of students and the world of education.
Thanks again for the challenge, Misty! I will do steps 4 & 5 someday!
I hope this blog gives a look into the life of a rural teacher, as well as some resources for teachers in the same position as me! Enjoy!